First Baptist Church History
First Baptist came about thru a Sunday school under Baptist auspices held in the Victory Village auditorium August 6, 1950, with 32 persons present. No morning service was held, an evening service was inaugurated with 40 in attendance. The same services were held of August 13th. Arrangements were then made for the use of rooms in the elementary wing of Basic School. The first Sunday school and morning worship services were held on August 20th with 21 present. The evening services were continued in Victory Village auditorium.
On November 6, 1950 a business meeting was held at Victory Village auditorium for the purpose of organizing the First Baptist Church of Henderson, Nevada. The church covenant was read, the resolutions were accepted and First Baptist became and organized church. On December 31, 1950 the charter membership was closed with a total of 42 persons.
The pastors of First Baptist Church of Henderson are:
|John G. Hargrave||May, 1951|
|George W. Rothery||December, 1951|
|David C. Hudson||July, 1954|
|John Osko||December, 1959|
|Rick Wilder||July, 1993-2009|
|Andy Thompson||July, 2010-Present|
The church purchased property on the corner of Atlantic and Kansas Ave for $25,000 from the Colorado River Commission for the church building and a parsonage at 63 Oklahoma Drive.
On October 12, 1952 the first shovel of dirt was turned as the beginning of the building program. Church services were held in the new building at Atlantic and Kansas on June 12, 1955. On September 11, 1966 the Worship Center was dedicated.